The 5 Essential Guitar Scales – Guitar Lesson

The 5 Essential Guitar Scales – Guitar Lesson

The 5 Essential Guitar Scales – Guitar Lesson
5 Year Anniversary: Save 0 On The Guitar System

Check out the full lesson page and download the jam tracks by following the link below:

#1 The Major Scale – 00:39
#2 The Major Pentatonic Scale – 03:34
#3 The Natural Minor Scale – 06:04
#4 Minor Pentatonic Scale – 09:15
#5 The Blues Scale – 10:43

In this lesson, we’re going to cover one of the first parts of learning how to play lead guitar. I’m going to show you the 5 essential guitar scales. These scales are the ones you’ll find yourself using the most in your lead guitar playing. For all of these scales, we are going to be using A as our tonal center. This means that the root note of all these scales will be an A.

Visit GuitarLessons.com for more free guitar lessons.

13 responses to “The 5 Essential Guitar Scales – Guitar Lesson”

1. Kaka Don says:

What is the advantage of learning scales???please someone explain me..
    Everybody says its the basic of rock music and you can make your own music ..
    But how??

2. Jim Dean says:

Thank you brother, like and subscribe.

3. Meundies says:

can you play these anywhere on the fret board or does it matter what fret you start on

4. Meraj Hunter says:

is blues note will be use in all type of scales such as G,C,F,E & so on what is the real diffnetion or means of BLUES pls reply best regard ur affectionate viewer.

5. Guitar Mechanics says:

The “shapes” are, of course, named for the 5 chord shapes in “home position” or in “open” position. The key is determined by the letter name of the Tonic Root point or note. The first scale shape you show here is that of the E “shape” in that, if you bar at the 5th fret and finger a chord that looks like an E in open position (it’s Home Position) it is an A major chord played with an E form chord shape so… the scale shape is also an E Shape or Form. Great job. You might want to show the octave to octave points connected with all 5 shapes. (obviously there are 5 variation of this) It is after all just interval numbers and the faster a student can see this in their “mind’s eye” that is when to “lights come on”. Once again, in the spirit of this wonderfully free environment, this is just a little mention of some things that I hope help all of your viewers get a “birds eye view” of the neck. E, A, and D Shapes start on the named strings E, A, And D. E shape shares it’s Tonic Root note with the G shape and C shape shares it’s Tonic Root note with A shape. Keep on keepin’ on Nate and ,as always, my positive wishes to all students (after over 40 years of teaching guitar at the privately and at the college level) good practice and good times for one and all. Nate… you’re one of the good ones my friend. Sincerely, The Crazy Professor (Neal Grandstaff)

6. kurati testis says:

Great Video clip! Excuse me for chiming in, I am interested in your initial thoughts. Have you heard the talk about – Riddleagan Blossoming Solo Remedy (erm, check it on google should be there)? It is an awesome one of a kind guide for mastering guitar scales without the headache. Ive heard some interesting things about it and my mate finally got excellent success with it.

7. Fuad Hasan says:

Seriously Enjoying it.

8. Sam Tony says:

Great job, Nate. I love your ability to keep it concise yet comprehensive. On the minor scale, though: shouldn’t the fingering be 3rd finger on the D string? Just asking…I’m not sure myself…just that it’s such a stretch to try to fret that note with the 2nd finger

9. EL Chou says:

this was very helpful. thank you

10. Metal-Spark says:

So this is probably a silly question but since the A Major Scale starts on A – if I took that exact shape/pattern but started on a different note (let’s say B for the sake of an example) would I then be playing a B Major Scale?

11. woodyallen1000 says:

Thank you. I owe you big time for taking me out of the rut. You are a great teacher.

12. SHIREN AKAGAMI says:

Could you please post a level up lesson of scales…….I got this lesson…..so I want to learn even further……so could you please post another video for scales

13. Just A Cover says:

Something like this description of “chord patterns on the guitar” would be helpful to augment this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNFMPevkog